2021 Hometown Innovation – About The Grant
Who Can Apply
The Town of Spencer is excited to announce the launch of the 2021-22 Hometown Innovation Grant for Small Businesses in Spencer. This program is a unique, one-time competitive grant opportunity made possible by a collaboration between the Town of Spencer, the Duke Energy Foundation, and the Salisbury Community Development Corporation (CDC).
The program provides grants to eligible small businesses and organizations for storefront beautification projects and other innovative exterior improvements. Eligible businesses can apply for a grant to assist with enhancements to facades and for the introduction of new outdoor amenities such as seating, signage, planters, café fences, art, lighting, and beyond!
Up to $4,500 is available per project. There is no match required for the first $2,500 of assistance. For requests above $2,500, eligible businesses can apply for up to another $2,000, provided the applicant contributes a 50/50 “dollar-for-dollar” match in private funds for every public dollar requested above $2,500.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to carefully review the Program Guidelines to learn about eligibility and other requirements. The deadline to submit an application is 12:00 (Noon) on Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
All inquiries and application submittals should be sent to: Kyle Harris, Spencer Planning & Zoning Administrator, email@example.com.
Contact Kyle Harris, Planning & Zoning Administrator
(704)-633-2231 ext. 28
Who Can Apply
Who Can Apply?
• Any individual small business or organization with less than 50 employees is eligible to apply
• Applicants can include commercial property owners or business tenants
• Non-profit, civic, and other community-oriented organizations are also eligible if they have a storefront space
• Business must be located along the Salisbury Avenue Corridor or within the Downtown “Main Street” District
• Business must be located within the Town’s corporate limits
• If a building has multiple storefronts, each tenant with a separate storefront or façade may apply
• A property does not have to be occupied at the time a grant application is submitted, but the application must include a timeline of expected occupancy
• See “Program Guidelines”
What Are The Grant Requirements?
• Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the full Program Guidelines for complete requirements;
• A completed Application must be submitted by 12:00 (Noon) on Wednesday, December 1, 2021;
• All proposals must meet applicable zoning and code requirements;
• Any proposed project within the Spencer Historic District must receive a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission;
• Only exterior enhancements are eligible, and priority is given to improvements to street-facing facades and landscapes, especially unique and attractive designs.