1. Home
  2. Business & Development
  3. Business Resources

Business Resources

Starting a Business

Spencer is located in Rowan County, North Carolina along the I-85 corridor. We are Rowan’s Original Gateway and have a long history of moving people and commerce through the region via the Yadkin River, railways, and highways. We’re ideally situated in the Piedmont, less than one hour to the Charlotte and Triad metros, about two hours to the Appalachian mountains and the Triangle, and four hours from the Carolina coast.

Additional local highway routes include Salisbury Ave (US Highway 29 N) and Long Ferry Road, both serving regional and local traffic. Local recreational highlights include Stanback Educational Forest, Eighth Street Ballpark, and neighboring East Spencer’s Royal Giants Park.

The community is served by Rowan-Salisbury Schools, with innovative North Rowan Elementary, Middle, and High Schools just a couple of minutes from most neighborhoods.

The North Carolina Transportation Museum, formerly Southern Railroad Company, salutes Spencer’s heritage of a railroad town. The site was a major economic driver from the early 1900’s to 1960’s serving to repair trains and providing jobs, and continues to impact the Town tremendously–generating over 150,000 visitors each year.

The Town partners with the Rowan EDC to foster business and industrial development in our county. Qualified economic development projects may be eligible for the Town’s Investment Grant Program. Find out more about how to jump start your business at the Rowan EDC website, or contact us at 704.633.2231.


Other location highlights:


Starting a Business

Starting a Business

Market Analysis Information

2016 Retail Market Place – Rowan County
FDIC Profile – North Carolina


Helpful tips


  • Obtain a Zoning Permit. Verify that the business location is properly zoned for the type of business to be conducted, and understand signage regulations. This applies to businesses located in an existing building, new construction, expansions or renovations, as well as home-based businesses
  • Obtain an occupancy rating and fire inspection from the Rowan County Fire Marshal, or call 704-216-8916. Other special permits may be needed from the Fire Marshal
  • Start water and sewer service from the Salisbury Rowan-Utilities Customer Service Center, or call 704-638-5300
  • Building code inspections for Spencer are handled by Rowan County Building Inspections. Obtain a Zoning Permit first from the Land Management Director
  • Businesses must file a Business Personal Property Listing Form with the Rowan County Tax Office for filing of assets and other business property, such as computers, furniture, equipment, and tools
  • Register your business name with the Register of Deeds Office in Rowan County as well as counties you are going to do business in by filing an Assumed Name Certificate or Trade Name Certificate
  • Rowan County Health Department oversees regulations related to food service and distribution, and child care inspections
  • Fire Department Pre-Incident Survey – Obtaining data for pre-fire sketches that will be used by responding fire personnel. This allows firefighters to familiarize themselves with your business. Call 704-637-6135
  • Police Department Security Survey – free of charge to assess the security of your facility and make recommendations for improvements. Call 704-633-3574


Additional Resources